Real Salt Lake's Jean Alexandre voted MLS Player of the Week
Real Salt Lake’s Jean Alexandre voted MLS Player of the Week
NEW YORK (Monday, June 6, 2011) – Real Salt Lake attacker Jean Alexandre was voted MLS Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) after he notched a goal and an assist in RSL’s 2-0 victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The goal was the first in the Haitian international’s MLS career.
With RSL’s forward corps depleted by injury and Gold Cup call-ups, Alexandre moved from his usual midfield role to forward and justified the coach’s decision. In the 32nd minute, Kyle Beckerman sent a pass through the Vancouver defense to Alexandre at the top of the box. As he received the ball, Alexandre held off one defender, then used a nifty step-over to brush by a second defender before slipping the ball past the charging goalkeeper for his first MLS goal in 26 career appearances.
Late in the second half, Alexandre’s quick feet helped set up the insurance goal. After a giveaway by Vancouver in the midfield, Alexandre evaded a sliding challenge and poked a through pass to Fabian Espindola. In alone against goalkeeper Joe Cannon, Espindola coolly finished to the far post.
Alexandre is the second player from RSL to win Player of the Week in 2011 (Javier Morales won in week 2) and it marks the first time this season that a team has had a second player receive the honor.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.
2011 MLS PLAYER OF THE WEEK WINNERS
Week 12: Jean Alexandre (Real Salt Lake)
Week 11: Justin Mapp (Philadelphia Union)
Week 10: Jeff Parke (Seattle Sounders FC)
Week 9: Justin Braun (Chivas USA)
Week 8: Joao Plata (Toronto FC)
Week 7: Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo)
Week 6: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
Week 5: Luke Rodgers (New York Red Bulls)
Week 4: David Ferreira (FC Dallas)
Week 3: Camilo (Vancouver Whitecaps)
Week 2: Javier Morales (Real Salt Lake)
Week 1: Omar Bravo (Sporting Kansas City)
AT&T Goal of the Week nominees, according to MLSsoccer.com
Fans and media members can submit votes via text to 22442 for any of these five strikes:
- Nick LaBrocca, CHV vs. POR (text G1)
- Jean Alexandre, RSL vs. VAN (text G2)
- Marvin Chaves, DAL vs. NE (text G3)
- Danny Mwanga, PHI vs. COL (text G4)
- Steven Lenhart, SJ vs. HOU (text G5)
Each week’s winner, determined by the total number of votes cast online and via text, is posted on Fridays.
To see video of all five nominees from Week 12 and vote, CLICK HERE. Text “GOAL” to 22442 to get the list of nominees sent to your mobile phone each week. Voting runs from Noon ET on Mondays until 11:59 pm PT time on Thursdays. Last week’s winner was Seattle’s Lamar Neagle.
MLS Week 12 Rewind:
(Home team listed first)
Wednesday, June 1
Chivas USA 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1
- Teams trade goals two minutes apart to open second half in Tom Soehn’s first game in chargeof ‘Caps
Friday, June 3
LA Galaxy 0, D.C. United 0
Saturday, June 4
Toronto FC 0, Sporting Kansas City 0
New York Red Bulls 1, Columbus Crew 1
Chicago Fire 0, Seattle Sounders FC 0
- Fire’s club-record winless streak hits 10 games in Frank Klopas’ debutas an MLS head coach
FC Dallas 1, New England Revolution 0
- Marvin Chavez, who turned down Gold Cup call, gets game’s only goalas FCD unbeaten streak now nine
Colorado Rapids 1, Philadelphia Union 1
- Rapids set MLS record with sixth consecutive drawas Conor Casey and Danny Mwanga trade goals
Real Salt Lake 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0
- Jean Alexandre scores goal, adds assistas RSL score twice in MLS play for first time since April
San Jose Earthquakes 2, Houston Dynamo 0
- Steven Lenhart, Simon Dawkins fill scoring void; Quakes now unbeaten in five, Dynamo winless in seven
Chivas USA 1, Portland Timbers 0
- Marcos Mondaini returns from four-game suspension, scores game’s only goal