Montreal Impact Midfielder Patrice Bernier Voted MLS Player of the Month for August
NEW YORK (Monday, September 4, 2012)– Montreal Impact midfielder Patrice Bernier was voted Major League Soccer (MLS) Player of the Month and Columbus Crew Forward Federico Higuaín was voted MLS Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for August and Week 26, respectively, of the 2012 MLS season.
Bernier led the Impact to a 4-0-0 mark in August contributing three goals and three assists:
- Bernier slots home a penalty kick
- Bernier converts a penalty kick from the spot
- Bernier makes a half-field run and deflects the ball past Bill Hamid
In his inaugural MLS season, Bernier has also collected a Player of the Week accolade (Week 13-15).
For the second straight week, Higuaín nabbed the Player of the Week honor, becoming the second player this season to be given the accolade in consecutive weeks. New York Red Bulls Designated Player Thierry Henry picked up the award in Weeks 3, 4 and 5 of MLS 2012.
Higuaínset up all four Columbus goals in a pair of late 2-1 victories over the Philadelphia Union and Montreal Impact on August 29 and September 1, respectively:
- Higuaín curls the ball into the box and Josh Williams heads it home
- Higuaín connects with Justin Meram, who crosses it to Eddie Gaven for a stoppage-time finish
- Higuaín launches a free kick into the box and Chad Marshall heads in the equalizer
- Higuaín bursts down the left flank and crosses to Emilio Renteria, who heads in the game-winner in the 93rd minute
The MLS Playerof the Month is selected each month, and the MLS Player of the Week is selected each week, of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.