MLS Player of the Week and Week 4 Rewind
FC Dallas Midfielder David Ferreira Voted MLS Player of the Week
2010 Volkswagen MLS MVP Collects His First Individual Accolade of 2011
NEW YORK (Monday, April 11, 2011) – FC Dallas midfielder David Ferreira was voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 4 of the 2011 MLS season. Ferreira scored twice and contributed to a third goal in FC Dallas’ 3-0 blanking of the defending MLS Cup Champion Colorado Rapids.
Ferreira helped get the scoring started in the 26th minute by serving a dangerous corner kick into the box. The ball was briefly cleared, only to be headed back toward the goalmouth by Marvin Chavez, who came up bloody on the play. FC Dallas defender Ugo Ihemelu pounced on the opportunity and buried a shot in off the post.
In the 40th minute, Fabian Castillo fed a beautiful through ball to Ferreira as he cut behind the Rapids’ backline. Ferreira took one touch then craftily chipped the charging goalkeeper, Matt Pickens. Ferreira celebrated by putting a pink pacifier in his mouth in honor of his pregnant wife.
The reigning MLS MVP wasn’t done. Just seconds into the second half, Daniel Hernandez one-timed an incisive pass to Eric Avila in the Rapids’ penalty area. Avila fired a low pass to the back post where a sliding Ferreira to put FC Dallas up 3-0.
Ferreira’s performance helped FC Dallas earn a bit of revenge for its overtime loss to Colorado in MLS Cup 2010, but more importantly gave the home side its first win of the season.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.
AT&T Goal of the Week nominees, according to MLSsoccer.com
Fans and media members can submit votes via text to 22442 for any of these five strikes:
- Ilija Stolica, NE vs. VAN (text G1)
- Simon Dawkins, SJ vs. TOR (text G2)
- Camilo, VAN vs. HOU (text G3)
- O’Brian White, SEA vs. CHI (text G4)
- David Ferreira, DAL vs. COL (text G5)
Each week’s winner, determined by the total number of votes cast online and via text, is posted on Fridays.
To see video of all five nominees from Week 4 and vote, CLICK HERE. Text “GOAL” to 22442 to get the list of nominees sent to your mobile phone each week. Voting runs from Noon ET on Mondays until 11:59 pm PT time on Thursdays. Last week’s winner was San Jose’s Khari Stephenson.
MLS Week 4 Rewind:
(Home team listed first)
Wednesday, April 6
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1, New England Revolution 1
· Whitecaps FC concede late equalizer this timeas Revs’ Ilija Stolica scores in stoppage time
Friday, April 8
FC Dallas 3, Colorado Rapids 0
· Reigning MLS MVP David Ferreira opens his 2011 accountwith two goals as Colorado loses its first
Saturday, April 9
Seattle Sounders FC 2, Chicago Fire 1
· Sounders FC win for the first timein 2011 behind goals from O’Brian White and Steve Zakuani
Philadelphia Union 1, New York Red Bulls 0
· 19-year-old Colombian midfielder Roger Torres scores his firstMLS goal for the decider
D.C. United 1, LA Galaxy 1
· Charlie Davies scores his fourth of the yearon a last-minute penalty kick to give United a late draw
New England Revolution 0, Real Salt Lake 2
· Real build off their CONCACAF Champions League successby winning their third straight MLS game
Chivas USA 0, Columbus Crew 0
· Chivas USA hold out for a second consecutive draw; the Crew are unbeaten in threein a row
San Jose Earthquakes 1, Toronto FC 1
· Simon Dawkins scores his second for San Jose as the Quakes and Toronto FC trade first-half goals
Sunday, April 10
Houston Dynamo 3, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1
· Brad Davis plays a part in all three Houston goals as the Dynamo win their firstof the year