MLS Player of the Week and Week 3 Rewind
Vancouver Forward Camilo Voted MLS Player of the Week
Brazilian striker’s two stoppage time goals complete Whitecaps’ remarkable rally
NEW YORK (Monday, April 4, 2011) -- Vancouver Whitecaps FC forward Camilo was voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 3 of the 2011 MLS season. Camilo scored twice in stoppage time to complete a tremendous rally by the home side and salvage a 3-3 tie against Sporting Kansas City.
A pair of goals by Teal Bunbury and one by Kei Kamara put Sporting up 3-0 with about 28 minutes remaining. In the 73rd minute, Camilo sprung Nizar Khalfan down the left flank, where he was able to cross to Atiba Harris for the ‘Caps first goal.
With time waning after the 90th minute, Vancouver’s Terry Dunfield freed Davide Chiumiento, who cut the ball back for Camilo to finish. Just a minute later, Camilo struck again. Khalfan received the ball from Harris at the corner of the box and sent a curling ball that Camilo leapt to nod past Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen. The late comeback prompted a mass celebration for the Whitecaps and the crowd of 20,518 at Empire Field.
Camilo, 22, whose full name is Camilo da Silvo Sanvezzo, recently joined Vancouver after a season with Gyeongnam of South Korea’s K-League and previously led Maltese club Qormi in scoring with 24 goals in 22 games.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.
AT&T Goal of the Week nominees, according to MLSsoccer.com
Fans and media members can submit votes via text to 22442 for any of these five strikes:
- Caleb Folan, COL vs. DC (text G1)
- Teal Bunbury, KC vs. VAN (text G2)
- Khari Stephenson, SJ vs. SEA (text G3)
- Stephen McCarthy, NE vs. POR (text G4)
- Dane Richards, NY vs. HOU (text G5)
The winner is determined by the total number of votes cast online and via text and is announced on Fridays.
To see video of all five nominees and vote CLICK HERE. Text “GOAL” to 22442 to get the list of nominees sent to your mobile phone each week. Voting runs from Noon ET on Mondays until 11:59 pm PT time on Thursdays. Last week’s winner was New York Red Bull forward Juan Agudelo.
MLS Week 3 Rewind:
(Home team listed first)
Friday, April 1
Columbus Crew 2, FC Dallas 0
- Andres Mendoza and Eddie Gaven goals give the Crew their first victoryand keep FC Dallas winless
Saturday, April 2
Toronto FC 1, Chivas USA 1
- Alejandro Moreno gives Chivas USA their first leadof 2011, but Alan Gordon equalizes against his former club
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3, Sporting Kansas City 3
- Whitecaps FC get two goals in stoppage time from Camiloto cap an historic and heroic 3-goal comeback
New England Revolution 1, Portland Timbers 1
- Stephen McCarthy (NE) and Jack Jewsbury (POR) trade first-half strikes, but the Revs remain unbeaten
New York Red Bulls 1, Houston Dynamo 1
- Dwayne DeRosario sets up the Red Bulls’ goal on his first touches after his stunning tradethe day before
LA Galaxy 1, Philadelphia Union 0
- Leonardo heads home a David Beckham free kick to hand the Union their first loss of the season
San Jose Earthquakes 2, Seattle Sounders FC 2
- A Khari Stephenson blast from long range gives the Quakes their second comeback and the draw
Sunday, April 3
Colorado Rapids 4, D.C. United 1
- Two goals from newcomer Caleb Folan lead a late Colorado onslaught as the Rapids remain perfect